What the...? is the eighth episode of Survivor: Pearl Islands.
Immunity Challenge: Keel Hauling
For the first round, the castaways must jump from a pontoon into the water, pull themselves along a rope under the pontoon to the opposite end without surfacing, climb back onto the pontoon, and run back to the start. This is done in two heats of five, the first two players in each to finish two laps move on. For the final round, the same thing is done, but players must do five laps, and move a medallion to the front each lap. First to move all five medallions to the front wins.
Winner: Burton Roberts (gave to Rupert Boneham)
|“||(voting for Lillian) Lill, I would never put your name down unless it was for something good. If it's not me, I hope it's you.||”|
|“||(voting for Burton) Burton, I'm voting you back in because I know you can win the individual immunities. And if I can't win, I want another Outcast member to win.||”|
|“||(voting for Ryan S.) Ryan, you were my friend from the very beginning. You accepted me no matter what. And I want you in almost as much as I want to be in. And I hope we can be together. Thank you.||”|
|“||(voting for Nicole) Nicole, I know you're one bad bitch and I know you'll go and get 'em.||”|
|Tribal Council 10:|
Andrew (6 votes)
Burton, Christa, Jon, Lillian, Rupert, Sandra
Jon (4 votes)
Andrew, Darrah, Ryan O., Tijuana
|“||(voting for Jon) Little Jon, you talk too much smack.||”|
|“||(voting for Andrew) Ooh, yeah, Mr. Macho, Mr. Savage, going down. Dig it?||”|
|“||(voting for Andrew) You're our biggest threat out here. Bye.||”|
|“||(voting for Jon) Jonny Fairplay, this message goes for you: you're a troublemaker and you're very manipulative.||”|
|“||I am unbelievably proud to be part of the Morgan tribe. We went through hell. And, to rally from losing the first three immunities, to even the score to five Morgan to five Drake, is a phenomenal accomplishment. Cheers to Morgan. Ryno, D, and T, stick it to Drake. Show them what we're made of and continue to make all of us proud.||”|
Still in the Running
- Burton and Lillian became the first castaways to be voted out and re-enter the game.
- Neither Burton nor Lillian voted for each other to re-enter.
- Burton became the second person to win the Immunity Necklace and pass it to somebody else, following Jenna Morasca, and the first man to do so.
- Burton is the first and so far only person to pass the Immunity Necklace to somebody else and still be immune from the vote.
- This season's Immunity Necklace is not actually a necklace. The token for individual immunity is a cutlass in a scabbard to be worn on one shoulder.
- This episode marked the first time an episode began at Tribal Council. In a continuation of the previous episode, The Outcasts voted two people back into the game.
- The Outcasts' Tribal Council was the first time, other than the Final Tribal Council, that there was a Tribal Council in which people cast their votes for someone rather than against someone.
- This is also the first Tribal Council where castaways are voting people back into the game.
- Jon Dalton's voting confessional against Andrew Savage is a reference to pro-wrestler Randy Savage, who went by the nickname "Macho Man".
- The second half of the episode aired on Christa Hastie's 25th birthday.
- This is the first non-finale episode to feature Tribal Councils on two different days.
- The name of the Immunity Challenge, Keel Hauling, likely references the concept of keelhauling, a form of punishment where sailors would be tied to a rope looped around a ship, thrown overboard, and then dragged under the ship's keel, either from port to starboard or bow to stern.
|Survivor: Pearl Islands Episodes|
|"Beg, Barter, Steal" · "To Quit or Not to Quit" · "United We Stand, Divided We...?" · "Pick a Castaway... Any Castaway" · "Everyone's Hero" · "Me and My Snake" · "What the...? (Part 1)"· "What the...? (Part 2)" · "Shocking! Simply Shocking!" · "Swimming with Sharks" · "The Great Lie" · "Would You Be My Brutus Today?" · "Mutiny" · "Flames and Endurance" · "Reunion"|