The season was filmed in May–June 2019, two weeks after Survivor: Island of the Idols.
Much like every previous season to feature an all-returning player cast, challenge producer John Kirhoffer revealed that every challenge this season will be a classic challenge to commemorate the show's 40th season.
The pay scale for the season is significantly increased. The winner will take home $2,000,000. The first person voted out is guaranteed to take home at least $25,000 instead of the standard $2,500.
The past winners that did not make the cast were:
- Richard Hatch (Borneo) was not invited to compete because Probst "didn't feel comfortable having him out on the show and representing a show that is for families", referencing Hatch's tendency to strip naked, which Probst felt would not sit well with the modern audience.
- Tina Wesson (The Australian Outback) was invited, but was cut from the final roster.
- Vecepia Towery (Marquesas) was not invited for unknown reasons.
- Brian Heidik (Thailand)
- Jenna Morasca (The Amazon)
- Chris Daugherty (Vanuatu)
- Tom Westman (Palau)
- Aras Baskauskas (Panama)
- Earl Cole (Survivor: Fiji) was invited, but declined due to personal commitments.
- Todd Herzog (China)
- Bob Crowley (Gabon)
- J.T. Thomas (Tocantins)
- Natalie White (Samoa)
- Fabio Birza (Nicaragua)
- John Cochran (Caramoan)
- Mike Holloway (Worlds Apart)
- Chris Underwood (Edge of Extinction) was not invited presumably due to the finale of Edge of Extinction and the filming of Winners at War being only a week apart and he would not have enough time to prepare his travel documents.
- Tommy Sheehan (Island of the Idols) was not invited because he would not have known that he won at the time of filming as Island of the Idols and Winners at War were filmed only two weeks apart and the former season had yet to air.
- Returning Players: Twenty former Sole Survivors return for a chance to bag another title.
- Increased Prize Money: For this season, the winner will receive $2,000,000.
- Edge of Extinction: The Edge of Extinction returns this season with the same exact rules and premise.
- Fire Tokens: A new twist, Fire Tokens allow the castaways to purchase creature comforts, food, or game advantages.
|Survivor: Winners at War Voting History|
- Winners at War marks the first time a country is used eight consecutive times.
- This is the first season to have its number displayed on the logo.
- This is the first season to have castaways in a familial relationship compete against each other in a non-Blood vs. Water season.
- With Danni representing Survivor: Guatemala, the oldest season where no first-time castaway has returned is now Survivor: Caramoan.
- Amber and Kim are the second and third castaways to play under two different last names, following Candice Cody, who played as Candice Woodcock in her first two seasons.
- Of the participating castaways:
- Eleven are playing in their second season: Adam, Ben, Danni, Denise, Kim, Michele, Natalie, Nick, Sophie, Wendell, and Yul.
- Five are playing in their third season: Ethan and Tony who won their first, and Amber, Jeremy, and Sarah who won their second.
- Three are playing in their fourth season: Parvati who won her second, Tyson who won his third, and Sandra who won both her first and second.
- One is playing in his fifth season: Rob, who won his fourth. Rob is the first person to play Survivor five times.
- ↑ https://www.truedorktimes.com/s40/calendar.htm
- ↑ https://www.cbs.com/recommended/news/1009545/cbs-winter-2020-schedule-premiere-dates-for-survivor-criminal-minds-new-series-and-more/
- ↑ https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/18/survivor-winners-at-war-challenges-john-kirhoffer-chris-marchand/?fbclid=IwAR3G8IQt9P0JUOKI5Cva6py96Cz4DyQEYe1vrk82ODhS4kyYKag9B5np5Ew
- ↑ https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/19/survivor-winners-at-war-cast-prize-money-guarantees/
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gql3kwvOEHE
- ↑ https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/jeff-probst-why-richard-hatch-is-not-on-survivor-winners-at-war/
- ↑ https://robhasawebsite.com/talking-with-t-bird-vecepia-towery/
- ↑ https://ew.com/tv/2019/12/18/survivor-winners-at-war-jeff-probst-season-40/
|Survivor (US) Seasons|
Borneo • The Australian Outback • Africa • Marquesas • Thailand • The Amazon • Pearl Islands • All-Stars • Vanuatu • Palau • Guatemala • Panama • Cook Islands • Fiji • China • Micronesia • Gabon • Tocantins • Samoa • Heroes vs. Villains • Nicaragua • Redemption Island • South Pacific • One World • Philippines • Caramoan • Blood vs. Water • Cagayan • San Juan del Sur • Worlds Apart • Cambodia • Kaôh Rōng • Millennials vs. Gen X • Game Changers • Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers • Ghost Island • David vs. Goliath • Edge of Extinction • Island of the Idols • Winners at War