This article is about the challenge. For the episode of the same name, see "Sumo at Sea".
Sumo at Sea (also known as Kung Fu Cannibals and Sumo in Mud) is a recurring challenge that originated in Survivor: Palau and was used in later seasons.
One member from each tribe faces off on a platform surrounded by either water (Palau, Blood vs. Water, and San Juan del Sur) or mud (Fiji and Heroes vs. Villains). Using their padded bags, or any other body part other than their hands, they must try to knock each other off the platform. Doing so would score their tribe a point. The first tribe to reach a certain number of points would win.
The challenge appeared again in Survivor: San Juan del Sur as the second Immunity Challenge. The two tribes were very evenly matched, and Kelley Wentworth avenged her loss to Jaclyn Schultz in the first round by defeating her in the final round, securing immunity for Hunahpu for the second straight time.
"Sumo at Sea"
"Love Many, Trust Few, Do Wrong to None"
| Heroes vs. Villains|
"That Girl Is Like a Virus"
| Blood vs. Water|
"Opening Pandora's Box"
| San Juan del Sur|
"Method to This Madness"
- Tom Westman and Tyson Apostol are the only people to participate in this challenge twice.
- However, Tom is the only person to win this challenge twice since Tyson only won it in his second attempt.
- Both competed in a variation with water and mud.
- The occurrence of this challenge in Survivor: San Juan del Sur marks the first time a challenge has ever taken place in the ocean in seasons filmed in Nicaragua.
- Tyson Apostol and Baylor Wilson have both been injured as a result of this challenge.
- According to John Kirhoffer, the matches are usually two out of three instead of one single bout.