Paschal English (also known as Pappy) is a contestant from Survivor: Marquesas.
One of the most popular castaways at the time, he is the first person to be eliminated by the colored rock tiebreaker, despite never receiving a vote against him the entire game. His unfortunate fate, which went unmatched for 23 seasons, became a precedent to avoid a deadlock tie at all costs.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Paschal English was born in Birmingham, Alabama. At two years of age, he and his family moved to Atlanta, Georgia, where he went on to attend junior and senior high school. He received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration and a Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Georgia in Athens.
English currently serves as a Superior Court Judge in the Griffin Judicial Circuit in Georgia. He was a member of the United States Air Force from 1969–73, serving in Southeast Asia from 1971-72. After leaving the Air Force as a Captain, he joined the Georgia Air National Guard where he retired in 1998 as a Colonel. Prior to his appointment in 1987 as a Superior Court Judge, English served as Chief Assistant District Attorney for 12 years.
English enjoys jogging, traveling and watching athletic events. He is a member of the Thomaston Bar Association, Griffin Circuit Bar Association, Georgia Bar Association and First United Methodist Church of Thomaston (he is a member of the administrative board).
Paschal English currently lives in Thomaston, Georgia, with his wife of 35 years, Beverly, and their dog, Dudley. They have two grown daughters, Ashley (who is married to Tim) and Rachel. He and Beverly are the proud new grandparents of Connelly English, born right after the New Year. His birth date is March 5.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
|Paschal's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Rotu Tribe Immune|
|2||Rotu Tribe Immune|
|3||Rotu Tribe Immune|
|5||Maraamu Tribe Immune|
|Eliminated, Day 371|
| Voted for|
^1 In The Sole Survivor, the vote ended with a 2-2 tie between Kathy and Neleh, forcing a rock drawing tiebreaker. Paschal drew the differently-colored rock and was eliminated from the game.
- In May 2010, Paschal abruptly resigned as a judge, following an investigation of numerous sex scandals involving affairs with numerous women, including a public defender.
- Paschal is the oldest contestant on Marquesas.
- Paschal's luxury item was an American flag.
- Paschal had the first confessional in Marquesas.
- Paschal was the first contestant to be the sole representative of their gender after a tribe switch.
- Paschal and Neleh Dennis voted for the same person at every Tribal Council they attended together.
- Paschal is the first person to be eliminated at Tribal Council without being voted out.
- Paschal is the second person to be eliminated despite never receiving a vote against him, after Michael Skupin in The Australian Outback.
- Paschal is the first person to be eliminated by rocks, followed by Katie Collins in Blood vs. Water and Jessica Lewis in Millennials vs. Gen X.
- Paschal's elimination significantly affected strategy in subsequent seasons of Survivor. Due to contestants not wanting to force a tie vote, there would not be another tie until "The Best and Worst Reward Ever" in Palau, six seasons later, and no tie created with the intent of drawing rocks until "The Day of Reckoning" in Samoa, fifteen seasons later.
- Paschal is the only jury member to miss a Tribal Council attended by the rest of the jury. He was unable to attend the Day 38 Tribal Council because he was hospitalized.
|Survivor: Marquesas Castaways|