Maraamu is notable for being the first tribe in the series' history to have an extensive string of challenge losses. Despite their dysfunction in challenges, the tribe managed to keep their spirits up at camp. Their tribe color is yellow.
The Original Maraamu
On paper, it would seem that the yellow Maraamu tribe was the physically stronger tribe than the rival Rotu tribe. But due to communication improprieties in challenges and dysfunction at camp, the tribe immediately diminished down to five members after the first nine days. Peter Harkey was eliminated due to his kooky demeanor, despite creating fire using a yoga breathing technique.
Hunter Ellis, perceived as the tribe's strongest member, became the leader of Maraamu. With his cohorts, Patricia Jackson and Gina Crews (who became fanatic of Hunter's good work ethic), they overworked the rest of the tribe. With this, Rob Mariano tried to oppose his leadership by plotting against him, causing further dissension. After losing their second Immunity Challenge, the conflict intensified between the leader and the worker bees. Rob (who felt that he let the tribe down at the challenge) created an insurgency plot against Hunter. With Hunter's alliance targeting the weak Sarah Jones, Rob managed to get Vecepia Towery, Sean Rector, and Sarah's votes to eliminate the eldest member (and Hunter's ally), Patricia. Rob's alliance took total control of the tribe, though they lost another Immunity Challenge. This time, tribe leader Hunter took the fall. Gina was left alone in a precarious position as an alliance outsider.
After the Day 10 tribe switch, Rob, Vecepia, and Sean were switched to the new Rotu, while Gina and Sarah welcomed the newcomers, Kathy Vavrick-O'Brien, Paschal English, and Neleh Dennis. Upon reaching camp, the tiny tribe of five bonded very well, despite initially coming from opposite tribes.
Maraamu lost yet again during the fourth Immunity Challenge, where Sarah (who was left alone, away from her alliance) was eliminated for being the most aloof of the five. After Sarah's elimination, the small tribe, now down to four members, made a huge comeback, as Maraamu finally won challenges, with three in a row, though they lost the Day 18 Immunity Challenge, sending them back to Tribal Council. After a heartbreaking Tribal Council, the last original Maraamu, Gina, was eliminated, reducing the tribe to a paltry three members.
On Day 20, the remnants of Maraamu moved to the Rotu camp for the merge.
- The Maraamu camp had access to many natural sources of food. Their beach was abundant with fruit trees, and the tribe also eventually discovered a nest of crabs a short distance away.
- The tribe's name is pronounced "mah-dah-AH-moo". Several of the Maraamu tribe members had difficulty pronouncing the name.
- Maraamu is the first tribe to vote out a man at the first Tribal Council.
- The original Maraamu tribe lost every challenge in which it competed.
- Maraamu is the first pre-merge tribe to attend Tribal Council four times in a row.
- After Gina Crews was voted out, Maraamu became the first tribe to contain none of its original members at some point during its existence.
- It would be followed by Mogo Mogo in All-Stars, Nuku in Game Changers, Soko in Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers, and Manu in Edge of Extinction.
- Maraamu is the first of six tribes to have no members remain in the tribe for its entire existence. It would be followed by Mogo Mogo, Ta Keo in Cambodia, Nuku, Soko, and Manu.
- After Ulong, Maraamu was ranked the second most dysfunctional tribe in Survivor history by Survivor Oz.