Lisa Diane Whelchel is a contestant from Survivor: Philippines.
Whelchel is an American actress best known for portraying Blair Warner in the sitcom The Facts of Life.
Lisa overcame an early crisis of confidence to become one of the more active, high-profile contestants of her season. She formed a lasting alliance with Michael Skupin that controlled much of the post-merge gameplay. However, her inconstant loyalties to other castaways and her occasional inability to separate emotional from strategic motives rendered her overall game slapdash in the eyes of many jury members. At the Final Tribal Council, she and Skupin tied for the runner-up spot, losing to Denise Stapley in a 6-1-1 vote. She did, however, win the Fan Favorite Award over Malcolm Freberg.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name (Age): Lisa Whelchel (49)
Tribe Designation: Tandang
Current Residence: Dallas, Texas
Occupation: Former TV Teen Star ("The Facts of Life")
Personal Claim to Fame: My three delightful and interesting children and the close friendship we enjoy.
Inspiration in Life: I admire and respect Oprah. She has used her fame and fortune to help people.
Hobbies: Reading, scrapbooking and traveling.
Pet Peeves: People who judge other people.
3 Words to Describe You: Quick-witted, sharp-minded and brave-hearted.
If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why?
1) A Bible with giant print because I don't know if I would have my reading glasses.
2) A journal and a pen because I have a terrible memory and I don't want to forget a minute of this experience.
3) Playing cards because I love to play games.
Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like: Colby – I'm competitive, genuine and from Texas!
Reason for Being on Survivor: I LOVE the game and was born to play it. Plus, I want to meet Jeff Probst.
Why You Think You'll "Survive" Survivor: I am strong physically, intellectually and in will.
Why You Think You Will Be the Sole Survivor: My inherent make up is to assess the big picture goal, determine the steps to reach it, gain everything there is to learn about how to accomplish the goal, jump in with both feet, connect with other people's strengths and never give up until the job is done.
Lisa started on the Tandang tribe, which was joined by returning player Michael Skupin. She decided not to tell anyone that see was a past star on The Facts of Life. Despite this, Michael immediately identified her as such and almost called her Blair. Abi-Maria Gomes and RC Saint-Amour viewed her untrustworthy. Lisa and Artis started out on the outside of the tribe, with Lisa being the intended first target to be voted off because of RC's distrust in her. She joined the second version of the Tandang Alliance while on the tribe, which happened when Abi-Maria and RC got into an argument over the Hidden Immunity Idol which put the target on RC. Despite taking a while to settle into the tribe, she didn't have to worry about being voted off, as her tribe never saw Tribal Council.
At the merge, Lisa voted with the majority of the tribe in flushing out Jonathan Penner's idol and eliminating Tandang outcast RC. With Penner winning immunity the next round, she voted with the Tandang Alliance in blindsiding Jeff Kent. During the next Tribal Council, Michael flipped to the opposing Matsing-Kalabaw alliance which led to Artis Silvester being blindsided and the Tandang Alliance being down in numbers. Eventually Lisa joined Michael. After eliminating Pete Yurkowski, Lisa agreed to a final four deal with Denise Stapley, Malcolm Freberg, and Michael after Jonathan declined her offer for a final four deal between Michael, Jonathan, Carter Williams, and herself previously. The alliance stayed true and Jonathan was voted out. At the Loved Ones Challenge, Lisa was emotional when she saw her younger brother, Justice. Malcolm won reward and chose Lisa, Michael and their loved ones to join them. Justice gave Lisa the courage to try to blindside Malcolm. However, Malcolm won the next Immunity Challenges and she joined the rest of the tribe in voting out the alliance outsiders, Carter and Abi-Maria. Malcolm also won an advantage for the Final Immunity Challenge. Despite that, he was the first out. Lisa almost won the last Immunity Challenge but instead Michael won. After debating whether Malcolm or Denise was the bigger jury threat, Lisa wanted Malcolm gone and got her way.
At the Final Tribal Council, Lisa was criticized for her hesitant gameplay. Jonathan exposed her past as a TV star. Lisa gained one vote from RC, because the latter knew that Lisa would be a big threat. The vote was enough to tie her with ally and friend Michael for second place as Denise garnered the rest of the votes to become Sole Survivor.
|Lisa's Voting History|
|1||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|2||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|3||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|4||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|5||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|6||Tandang Tribe Immune|
|Co-Runner-Up, Day 39|
^1 In "Not the Only Actor on This Island", Jonathan used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Lisa's vote against him.
^2 In "Whiners Are Wieners", Abi-Maria used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating Lisa's vote against her.
- Lisa was set to co-host The Jeff Probst Show in 2013 before its cancellation.
- In 2013, Lisa made and released a workout DVD called Lisa Whelchel's Everyday Workout for the Everyday Woman.
- In July 2014, Lisa appeared as guest co-host on The View.
- In 2014, Lisa starred in the TV movie For Better or for Worse which also included her former The Facts of Life co-star Kim Fields.
- Lisa and several other celebrities will compete in an upcoming revival of Battle of the Network Stars airing on ABC set to premiere on June 29, 2017.
- Lisa is the oldest woman in Survivor: Philippines.
- When the Tandang tribe painted their initials on a tree at their camp, Lisa put her initials as "LC", using her married name Lisa Cauble, to hide her identity. This was despite the fact that she had divorced her husband Steven Cauble less than a month before the game began.
- Being a fan of The Facts of Life as a young adult, Michael Skupin recognized her, but could not call her by her stage name Blair because it would throw her off-guard.
- Lisa, along with the rest of the original Tandang tribe, became the first group of contestants to reach the merge without visiting Tribal Council.
- Lisa is the first castaway to appear in an interview prior to the airing of their elimination episode. Lisa was on the Jeff Probst Show while Survivor: Philippines was in its midway point.
- Lisa is the only castaway among the final seven of Philippines to never win individual immunity.
- Lisa is the only castaway ever to reach the Final Tribal Council and have immunity every single Tribal Council pre-merge, and then never receive immunity again post-merge.
- Lisa and Michael are the second pair to tie for second place at the Final Tribal Council after Dreamz Herd and Cassandra Franklin of Fiji. They would be followed by Dawn Meehan and Sherri Biethman in Caramoan, Carolyn Rivera and Will Sims II in Worlds Apart, Tasha Fox and Spencer Bledsoe in Cambodia, and Hannah Shapiro and Ken McNickle in Millennials vs. Gen X.
- Unlike Dreamz and Cassandra, Lisa and Michael never received votes against them, but received votes from the jury.
- Lisa is the first person ever to defeat Jeff Probst in a Survivor trivia game on the Jeff Probst Show.
- During the game, there was a Facts of Life question that lead to Jeff's loss.
- Lisa is the first new player to win the Fan Favorite Award in a season with returning players.
|Survivor: Philippines Castaways|