Josh was the clear strategic mastermind on the Coyopa tribe throughout the pre-merge phase of the game, controlling the first three votes of the season and coasting on his strong social game during a subsequent series of tribal immunity wins. At the merge, however, he was blindsided when his former allies Missy Payne and Baylor Wilson collaborated with Josh's rival Jeremy Collins.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name: Josh Canfield (32)
Tribe Designation: Coyopa
Relationship to Significant Castaway: Reed's boyfriend
Current Residence: New York City, N.Y.
Occupation: Singer, Actor, Writer
Personal Claim to Fame: Writing and directing my first musical in London and being the first person in my family with a master's degree.
Inspiration in Life: My dad. He has always treated my mother with respect and admiration and through selflessness has shown what marriage was intended to look like.
Hobbies: Writing songs, going to the gym, Settlers of Catan, movies and going to the dog park with our dog.
Pet Peeves: Idiots, loud Americans in foreign countries, most audition waiting rooms, people who will only see one side of an argument and many more.
3 Words to Describe You: Confident, energetic and compassionate.
If You Could Have 3 Things on The Island What Would They Be and Why? 1) Bible – the Scripture would help in dealing with difficult circumstances 2) Piano – so that I could write songs and sing. 3) iPod – life without music is just depressing
SURVIVOR Contestant You Are Most Like: There hasn't been any one like me. I'm going to pave my own way.
Reason for Being on SURVIVOR: After each episode I watch from home I say "I want to do that!" The challenges, the mind games, the pushing your body to its limits, it all get me so excited!
Why You Think You'll "Survive" SURVIVOR: I can make fire, I'm very organized and detail focused which would help in numerous challenges. I'm also strong and have a lot of endurance.
Why You Think You Will Be the Sole Survivor: I have the stamina to make it through the challenges, I have the mental grit to get past the mind games and the gutsiness to make the big moves when they need to be made. I am Survivor.
What Does It Mean to You to Play Survivor with Your Loved One? I'm so excited that I get to play with Reed! This will be a memory that we will share for life. Having someone to go through this with who can help you find strength when you really need it will be invaluable in this game. I'll be stronger having Reed by my side...it also helps that he's great to look at as well.
With Josh and the Coyopa tribe losing the first Immunity Challenge, alliances were already being made. Josh put himself into an all men alliance with John Rocker, Dale Wentworth, Wes Nale, and Alec Christy. He also had a tight relationship with Baylor Wilson. At the first tribal, Josh voted Baylor because he didn't want his tribe mates to notice a relationship. However, Nadiya Anderson was voted off because of her previous showing on The Amazing Race. At the next tribal, Val Collins was blindsided, for her bluff that she had two idols.
Coyopa lost the next Immunity Challenge, yet again. After the challenge, Natalie Anderson told the Coyopa tribe about John and his racist and homophobic past. John acted unprofessionally to Natalie, which Josh considered to be a liability. He then convinced the rest of the tribe, except Dale, to vote him out. Coyopa won the next Immunity Challenge.
The next episode was a tribe swap, where Josh was placed on the Hunahpu tribe with Natalie, Wes, Jeremy Collins, Julie McGee, Alec Christy, and his boyfriend, Reed Kelly. Hunahpu won both the Immunity Challenges. Josh admitted he had a bitter sweet reaction to not winning because Reed and him wanted to vote out Jeremy when they could.
On Day 16, the two tribes merged. Right away, Josh formed an alliance with Reed, Wes, Keith Nale, and Alec. He was considered to be the head of the alliance. The opposing alliance was Jeremy, Natalie, Julie, Missy Payne, and Baylor, with Jeremy in charge. That left Jon Misch and Jaclyn Schultz in the middle, with both alliances fighting for them. Jon and Jaclyn told both alliances they were sided with them, but initially chose Josh's alliance. However, on Day 18, there was no tribal held, as Julie quit.
Josh lost the next Reward Challenge, and Jon was sent to Exile Island. While Jon was gone, Alec treated Jaclyn poorly. Jaclyn said that was dumb because they are still fighting for their vote, and it is ultimately unknown. At the next Immunity Challenge, Josh and Jeremy were in the finals, but Jeremy ended up winning, to Josh's displeasure. When Jon arrived back at camp, Jaclyn complained that the men in Josh's alliance were mistreating her. Although Jon said that he did not want to play this game with emotions, he listened to Jaclyn, and went with Jeremy to vote off Josh.
At Final Tribal Council, Josh first asked Jaclyn if she gotten to the end if by her own merit or by the decisions of stronger players. Jaclyn said no because the decisions between her and Jon was thought out and discussed. Josh specify for one move that was hers alone. Jaclyn said voting out Josh was her move. Like most of the men, Josh voted for Natalie to win.
|Josh's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|4||Coyopa Tribe Immune|
|5||Hunahpu Tribe Immune|
|6||Hunahpu Tribe Immune|
|7||No Tribal Council|
|8||Baylor|| Baylor, Jaclyn, Jeremy,|
Jon, Missy, Natalie
|Voted Out, Day 21|
| Voted For|
^1 In Method to This Madness, the vote ended with a 4-4 tie between Baylor and Val, forcing a revote. Josh did not change his vote on the revote.
- On January 29, 2015, Josh and Reed became engaged.
- Josh and Reed broke up in March 2016.
- On May 22, 2017, Josh, along with Gervase Peterson, appeared on an episode of Pen Fan Forum hosted by Andrea Boehlke to discuss the season finale of Survivor: Game Changers.
- Josh is in the ensemble of Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 on Broadway, having joined the company in its off Broadway run at Kazino in 2013, and has stayed with the company since. He is also the understudy for the role of Anatole.
- Josh and Reed applied and were cast individually, without the production knowing they were boyfriends.
- Josh lost 17 lbs. (7.7 kg) during San Juan del Sur.
- Josh celebrated his 33rd birthday at Ponderosa, which was the day after Reed got voted out.
- Josh revealed on his Twitter that he was approached to return for Survivor: Cambodia, but he had to decline because his Broadway contract wouldn't allow him to leave.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/joshuacanfield/status/540345458867310592
- ↑ https://twitter.com/joshuacanfield
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/214919/
- ↑ http://instagram.com/p/ybTDoHqOkJ/?modal=true
- ↑ https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153440239766935&id=500341934
- ↑ https://twitter.com/SayGerv/status/867746003708981252
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9NkEZNgQ0
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiXh8epQRyo
- ↑ https://twitter.com/joshuacanfield/status/596684038766776320
|Survivor: San Juan del Sur Castaways|