Survivor Wiki
Survivor Wiki

Jessica "Jess" Chong is a contestant from Survivor 46.

Slow to adapt to the elements and the Yanu tribe dynamics, Jess' status as an outsider and challenge liability caused her to be voted out on Day 5.


Retrieved from

Age: 37
Hometown: Hong Kong/Toronto
Current Residence: San Francisco, CA
Occupation: Software Engineer

Name three of your favorite hobbies: Sewing my own clothes, Biking around San Francisco with my husband. Binge-watching 80% of a TV show, panicking about where the time has gone, and then reading recaps of the remaining 20% of the show online*.
*I don't do this with Survivor, though.
List three adjectives that best describe yourself: Silly/Animated, Compassionate, Persistent
How would your friends describe you? Empathetic, tenacious, smart, social butterfly
What risks have you taken in your life to make a change for the better, even if the outcome wasn't planned? When I was 24, I quit two entry-level jobs in one year because I was hungry to learn (and earn) more. I started my own freelance web design business. By the time I was 29, one of my freelance gigs had turned into an incredible full-time job. Before the pandemic, I made it a priority to go home once or twice a year. In March 2021, I braved a 21-day hotel quarantine to spend time with them.
What is the accomplishment you are most proud of? I'm proud that after I transitioned my career into software engineering, I worked to help others make the transition, too! I love mentoring people who are new to software engineering, especially when they've transitioned later in life.
What is something we would never know from looking at you? I'm an identical twin! I played rugby in college. And I type 140 WPM.
What past Survivor would you play the game most like? Tai, Gabby, and Maryanne.[1]


Jess started the game on the Yanu tribe. From Day 1, Jess faced difficulties in acclimating to the conditions of the game due to her ADHD, and was unable to sleep restfully. Her social awkwardness also prevented her from gelling with the tribe, and she was left out of the majority alliance led by Kenzie Petty and Tiffany Nicole Ervin. Despite being an outsider and contributing to the tribe's loss at the Immunity Challenge, Jess was overlooked as a target at the first Tribal Council, where David Jelinsky was booted instead for his non-committal attitude.

Given a second chance, Jess attempted to cobble together an alliance with Bhanu Gopal and Q Burdette to blindside Kenzie, whom she pitched as being a social butterfly. However, after Yanu lost yet another Immunity Challenge, the tribe set its eyes on Jess for being a challenge liability. Meanwhile, Kenzie and Tiffany started a ploy to give Jess a fake Hidden Immunity Idol so she would be placated from playing her Shot in the Dark. When Jess was unable to find Tiffany's planted idol, Tiffany gave Q the fake idol to gift Jess instead.

Despite her skepticism, Jess remained cautiously optimistic that she, Bhanu, and Q could blindside Kenzie together. However at Tribal Council, Bhanu had a public meltdown and divulged his allegiance to the majority alliance. While it appeared that the majority would turn on Bhanu for his indiscretions, they ultimately stuck to their original plan and Jess was voted out unanimously.

Episode Tribe
Challenge Challenge Type Sit-Out? Result
1 Yanu Tiers of Heaven Reward No Lost
Lizard King Immunity No Lost
2 Arch Madness Reward/Immunity No Lost
Voted Out, Day 5

Episode Jess'
Voted Against
1 Jelinsky -
2 Bhanu Bhanu, Kenzie,
Q, Tiffany
Voted Out, Day 5


Newtorch This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.



Survivor 46 Castaways
S46 ben t
S46 bhanu t
S46 charlie t
S46 hunter t
S46 jelinsky t
S46 jem t
S46 jess t
S46 kenzie t
S46 liz t
S46 maria t
S46 moriah t
S46 q t
S46 randen t
S46 soda t
S46 tevin t
S46 tiffany t
S46 tim t
S46 venus t