Edna Ma is a contestant from Survivor: South Pacific.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Name (Age): Edna Ma (35)
Tribe designation: Upolu
Current residence: Los Angeles
Personal claim to fame: I was the first in my family to finish college. I subsequently went onto complete medical school and am board certified in anesthesiology.
Inspiration in life: Oprah. She overcame poverty, abuse and numerous other challenges/adversities to become one of the most influential women in the world.
Hobbies: Traveling, learning new things and going to new restaurants.
Pet peeves: Idleness, liars and deception.
3 words to describe you: Self-starter, adventurous and ambitious.
SURVIVOR contestant you are most like: Mick Trimming for his diplomacy.
Reason for being on SURVIVOR: It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I want the experience!
Why you think you'll "survive" SURVIVOR: I'm a critical thinker and I'm good at tasks and building a team.
Why you think you will be the Sole Survivor: I'm determined and I believe I can achieve anything I set my sights on.
Edna Ma was one of the eight new castaways in the Upolu tribe. Ma was the first person to form an alliance with returning Survivor Coach Wade after the entire tribe clearly hinted their displeasure of having Coach on their tribe instead of the other returning Survivor, Ozzy Lusth. When Coach lost the first challenge (where it was Ozzy vs. Coach) Edna was the only person in her tribe to stay and help Coach with his things, this was a game changing move for her which carried her past several Tribal Councils.
In "Reap What You Sow", where Upolu lost its second Immunity Challenge, Coach revealed to his alliance (Sophie Clarke, Albert Destrade, Rick Nelson, and Brandon Hantz) that Edna would be their sixth, but the main alliance of five agreed that the anesthesiologist would be kept out of the loop in terms of having input to their voting options. Edna was targeted by Christine after Edna was seen as the weakest in the tribe however, Christine was the only one who voted for Edna. Regardless, Christine was eliminated by the majority alliance under the premise that she was feverishly looking after the Hidden Immunity Idol and showing the most disdain for Coach's membership in the tribe, and was sent to Redemption Island.
In one of his many outbursts, Brandon revealed to Edna that she was never really in the alliance and was only considered an extra vote, to her dismay and shock. In "Free Agent", Coach's alliance wanted to vote out Mikayla Wingle for acting overbearingly at the Immunity Challenge. However, Albert wanted to vote out Edna after fearing that Coach would take her at the Final Tribal Council and believing that she has no contribution to the tribe whatsoever. While Albert did try to protect Mikayla by voting Edna, Edna, Brandon, and Coach successfully swung Rick's vote, sending Mikayla home. Unscathed after three Tribal Councils, the whole alliance of six merged with the rival Savaii tribe, forming the new Te Tuna tribe.
While former Savaii member John Cochran betrayed his old tribemates by joining the Upolu alliance, Edna and the rest of Upolu would remain safe, whilst the former Savaii members were systematically voted out, forcing them to turn on each other in Redemption Island.
In "Ticking Time Bomb", while Brandon revealed that he did not compete to win, but to change the "evil" connotation that came along with his surname, he made a controversial move at the Immunity Challenge, where he eliminated Edna, audaciously implying that he was trying to prevent somebody from winning the necklace and referred to her as a "certain person". This gesture angered Edna, making her to campaign his ouster, comparing Brandon's latest outburst to "beating a wife then buying her a diamond necklace". Knowing she was in trouble, Edna plead to Coach to lend her his Hidden Immunity Idol, which he found days ago. Coach rebutted that by doing so, his endgame would be in jeopardy. With Coach unwilling to assist her, Edna also tried to swing Albert and Sophie's votes, with the two almost leaning over to the idea since earlier they both agreed they were disgusted with Brandon for the way he treated her. In the end, Edna's lobbying ultimately failed, sending her to Redemption Island in a 5-1 vote. Coach gave Edna a hug before she left for Redemption Island.
At the Final Tribal Council, Edna expressed her feelings on being manipulated by her alliance using religion as a fear factor. She stressed that in the game, everyone either manipulates or get manipulated by someone else, so "being duped" is almost inevitable. She advised the final three survivors (Albert, Sophie, and Coach) to own up to their actions, because they "signed up for this."
At Final Tribal Council, Edna ultimately gave her vote to Coach, but however, he lost to Sophie.
|Edna's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|1||Upolu Tribe Immune|
|3||Upolu Tribe Immune|
|5||Upolu Tribe Immune|
|6||Mikayla|| Albert, Mikayla,|
|7||Upolu Tribe Immune|
|Jim|| Dawn, Jim,|
|13||Brandon|| Albert, Brandon,|
Coach, Rick, Sophie
|Voted Out, Day 32|
|14||On Redemption Island|
|Eliminated, Day 33|
| Voted for|
^1 In Double Agent, the vote ended with a 6-6 tie between Keith and Rick, forcing a revote. Edna did not change her vote on the revote.
- Edna revealed at the South Pacific Reunion Show that she was missed so much by her husband, she got pregnant some time after filming. In May 8, 2012, Edna and her husband welcomed a baby boy, which they named Dean.
- Edna appeared on the ABC reality show Shark Tank in October 2013.
- On October 22, 2014, Edna gave birth to her second child, Genevieve.
- Edna attended the primetime Survivor edition of The Price Is Right that aired on May 23, 2016. However, Edna herself did not compete.
- Edna originally intended to talk to Mark Burnett to be on Shark Tank to promote a new business. However, he convinced her to be on Survivor instead.
- Edna is a close friend of Survivor: Samoa contestant Mick Trimming, who is also a doctor.
- Mick helped her get cast for the show.
- Edna was the only Upolu member to receive a vote against her at every pre-merge Tribal Council her tribe attended.
- With 15 votes against her, Edna outdid Jerri Manthey and Lindsey Richter's record of 12 votes in a single season against a woman. This was broken in Blood vs. Water by Laura Morett with 19 votes against her.
- Edna often wore Tree Mail messages as visors during the game.
- Edna lost 14 lbs. during her time on South Pacific.
- ↑ http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/cast/62882/
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2907434458161&set=p.2907434458161&type=1
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PbM4oUMtYE
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=508507192619166&set=a.195615500575005.52578.100003796708206&type=1
- ↑ http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/exclusive-edna-ma-talks-about-survivor-south-pacific-12973.php
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYAvgNEMrdA
|Survivor: South Pacific Castaways|