Chris's supposed disloyalty led to him being the third person voted out on Day 8, but after lasting 26 full days on the Edge of Extinction and winning the second re-entry duel on Day 35, Chris made the most of his second chance by catching up to speed strategically and socially, as well as winning the Final Immunity Challenge. Believing his last-minute return would still not suffice for a win, he gave up his immunity and instead faced Rick Devens in the fire-making challenge to earn himself a spot in the Final Tribal Council. His strong relationships with the jury during his stay on the Edge of Extinction and resilience in the game's closing moments won him the title of Sole Survivor in a 9-4-0 vote.
Retrieved from CBS.com
Hometown: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Current residence: Greenville, South Carolina
Occupation: District Sales Manager
Hobbies: Surfing, sailing, camping, anything outdoors!
Pet peeves: Laziness, political Facebook posts, people who are all talk and no walk.
Three words to describe you: Personable, hustler, and intuitive.
What is your personal claim to fame? My professional career. I went from being a barista to managing the #1 sales team in my solar company within a year.
Who or what is your inspiration in life? The people who have taught me to get back up when I'm knocked down, to fight for the things that matter in life, and to never let my goals get away from me, no matter how big or small.
If you could have three things on the island, what would they be and why? A surfboard because Fiji has amazing waves! A skillet because literally everything tastes better on a skillet. Scuba gear equipped with a spear gun because I love diving and spearfishing.
Which Survivor contestant are you the most like? Malcolm because of his charm, Rob because he is a leader but also manipulative, Spencer because of how well he understands strategy, and Ozzy because of his skills in the water.
What's your reason for being on Survivor? My primary motivation is to say that I accomplished the goal that I was set out to do—win! Even if the grand prize was $1,000, if I say I am going to do something, then I am everything in my control to achieve it.
Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor? I can make fire, fish, build shelter, and I will most likely be cooking a lot of meals (I'm big into cooking). Also, I'd work hard and won't lay around camp. I'm a team player in terms of getting a group to work together, I am extremely competitive, and I will do whatever it takes to help my team win!
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.
|Chris's Voting History|
| Voted Against|
|3||Kelley|| David, Kelley,|
Lauren, Rick, Wardog
|Voted Out, Day 8|
|4||On Edge of Extinction|
|Returned, Day 35|
| Jury Votes|
| Aubry, David, Eric, Joe, Julia,|
Reem, Ron, Victoria, Wardog
|Sole Survivor, Day 39|
^1 In I See the Million Dollars, Lauren used a Hidden Immunity Idol on Chris, negating 1 vote against him.
^2 Also in I See the Million Dollars, Chris used a Hidden Immunity Idol, negating 3 votes against him.
- Chris married his college sweetheart, Katelyn Jermstad on April 26, 2019, a few weeks before the Edge of Extinction finale.
- Chris is the fifth Survivor contestant to give away the Immunity Necklace, following Jenna Morasca, Burton Roberts*, Erik Reichenbach, and Brandon Hantz.
- Chris is the first to do so after winning the Final Immunity Challenge.
- Chris is the third to do so and survive that Tribal Council, following Jenna and Burton.
- Chris is the second to do so and subsequently win the game, following Jenna.
- Chris' strategy of giving up immunity to place himself in the fire-making challenge against his target was first suggested by Ghost Island runner-up Domenick Abbate. Ghost Island was the last season that the Edge of Extinction cast saw before their season started filming.
- Chris is the second person to reach the Final Tribal Council after being voted out and returning, following Lillian Morris.
- Chris is the first person to win the game under such circumstances.
- Spending 26 full days on the Edge of Extinction, Chris has the fewest in-game days out of any finalist with 13.
- Born in 1992, Chris is currently the youngest winner by birth year.
- Due to his stay on the Edge of Extinction, Chris became the second finalist and second winner who was never eligible to be voted out post-merge, following Yul Kwon. Unlike Yul who received five counted votes, Chris could never have a vote counted against him after the merge due to Hidden Immunity Idols and the final four fire-making challenge twist.
- Due to the nature of the Edge of Extinction, Chris became the second person to be removed from the jury, following Neal Gottlieb in Survivor: Kaôh Rōng. Unlike Neal however, Chris would have been eligible to join it again had he got voted out after returning to the game.
- Chris is tied with Natalie White for having the least number of challenge wins for a winner, with three.
- Chris only attended six Tribal Councils, the fewest of any finalist and winner.
- Due to being on the Edge of Extinction, Chris is the second player (following Laura Morett) and first winner to not participate in a Tribe Switch despite the season having one.
- Chris is the second winner to never win a tribal Immunity Challenge, following Denise Stapley.
- Chris is the first Hispanic-American male to win the title of Sole Survivor and the second Hispanic-American overall, following Sandra Diaz-Twine, who won Pearl Islands and Heroes vs. Villains.
- Chris is the only contestant to be a jury member and winner within the same season.
David vs. Goliath
|Sole Survivor |
Edge of Extinction
| Succeeded by|
|Survivor: Edge of Extinction Castaways|